pages

July 25, 2008

"Farewell, My Lovely": a quick review

Farewell, My Lovely Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
PI Philip Marlowe never better...



On my list of books to read and then see the movie.



The story has actually been made a film 3 times; the 2nd one seems to be the "original" film, and easiest to find to rent. Misguidingly titled "Murder, My Sweet", it took me a little work to find it, but it's sitting in my queue at the moment.



Prediction: book will be far and away better. It was made early in the era of Film Noir, a genre that was still trying to figure out its style. Though based on strong material, it's likely that the producers decided to lighten it up--in dialogue, in mystery, in sin--for the sake of reaching greater audiences.


View all my reviews.

No comments: