pages

October 02, 2008

fernando ortega on pop and theology

(I can't claim this post as my own... I read it over at The Rabbit Room, a blog community hosted by singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson. Typically, I would just stick this in my "Shared Items" in the toolbar to the right of this window, but this quote seemed way too good to simply stick in the corner)

The interviewer asked Fernando Ortega about what he thought of the commercialization of Christian music. Here’s what he said:

“Well, I think that most of today’s Christian music is based on a thin premise. When you take a pop song and weigh it down with the gospel it sort of cheapens both. The theology is too heavy for the song, and the song usually ends up being too light for the theology. Often I feel like you end up with some sort of fuzzy Christian propaganda that doesn’t do music or the gospel any justice. That’s why I like hymns so much. The early fathers wrote many of the texts to hymns that we sing today. I like that they attach us to our Christian history and remind us of what in our faith is worth preserving. Hymns were written by theologians, not pop stars, and that is why when they are sung, we so tangibly feel the weight of glory.”

And that’s why we love Fernando.

Here’s the link to the rest of the interview.

No comments: