pages

September 18, 2006

sufjan (soof-yon) stevens (stee-vens)

it's amazing to find that in an entire year of being mesmerized by someone's music, I have failed to even bring up his name once. so here goes:

sufjan stevens

(check title for pronunciation).

last year about this time, I got his (at the time) most recent album, Come on Feel the Illinoise, and everything changed. perhaps that's why I haven't blogged about it. I haven't really been able to settle my thoughts about this music. many times art is that way. you see or hear something, and you can't describe it because you realize that your own words are inadequate to point at something more profound than you can express.

perhaps I got a little gun-shy once the album started ending up on everyone's "Best of 2005" lists, not wanting to jump on bandwagons.

you're saying to yourself: "why then do you feel the need to write about him now? why has the proverbial cat released your tongue... er, fingers?"

good question.

I am here to say that I am going to see him live this Wednesday in Atlanta at the Fox Theater! hopefully I will be able to post a review of the show. I'll try to expedite the writing of my post so that I am able to remember it clearly. and perhaps my words won't get in the way.

so shocked am I that I haven't mentioned his music yet, I'm going to even post a picture.though this is a rather silly picture.

1 comment:

Brian T. Murphy said...

I'm going to be at this show.

I can't wait.

I'll keep an eye out for you.