December 30, 2004

breaking... I mean... dislocating news

Well, the "let's have fun in the airports at Chritsmas" story has just gotten longer, and I haven't even stepped inside another airport since the last excursion on Christmas day (see post below). When I last left you, I was on two legs. Now, I'm on three for the most part, sometimes four when I'm quite daring.

Wednesday morning, I was helping to assemble a CD/DVD shelf for my family. I was nearing the final part of the routine, when I attempted a difficult triple-axle, triple-sow-cow, and I missed....

If only I were so heroic.

Actually, I started to go down on one knee, while the knee that I wanted to go down on wanted to go the other direction. This is what we like to call a diclocated patella, or just plain painful. I ended up on my back with shooting pain up and down my right leg from the epicenter of my knee. I did hear a large *crunch* or *tear* as I went down, and I knew I was gonna be out for the season.

Fortunately, I had 4 able-bodied assistants on hand (Sarah, Mom, Kate, & Rebecca) to bring me back to life, ice my knee, put on a splint, get me sitting up, and offer to wash my car. After about 30 minutes (and the help of two Vicodin), I was able to get on my feet with crutches. I made the long hike upstairs, was lifted into the car, and rushed to the hospital. Dr. Whitaker checked me out, said the X-Rays showed no signs of damage, and gave me a new splint: smaller, lighter, and less-smellier.

It has been 7 years since I had corrective surgery on my left knee for a similar problem. It did take 5 years from the time I first dislocated my left knee until I needed surgery, so I plan on buliding up those muscles on my right leg to not face the same fate.

For now, I'm in an imobilzer brace with crutches for at least 2 weeks. After that, I'll wear a patella restraint brace, which provides full movement but makes sure my knee stays in place. The verdict is still out on whether I will be able to ski this season, but that's the least of my worries. Classes at UW start on Monday, and our first RUF will be Wednesday night. I'm slated to play guitar and lead worhsip, but I may have to bow out of those duties for a few weeks.

To top it all off, Sarah and I were once again scheduled on different flights tomorrow for our triumphant return to the Emerald City. We've talked about it, and think that it's best that I have someone to assist me in the airport and on the plane. My parents have been gracious enough to get tickets for us on the non-stop flight that Southwest Airlines provides from Kansas City to Seattle. This is much better than my 6:00 am flight tomorrow morning!

I'm sure that I'll post more upon my return to Seattle. Can't wait to see what fun is in store for New Year's Eve!


Luke said...

I had no idea you were so hilarious. I mean I've known you were given to cunning humor every now and then, but an onslaught like this?! Very impressive. I love the links explaining the various details of your story. Talk to you later!
-Luke M.

abo-bder said...

شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض